testata Forum Natura Mediterraneo
Forum | Registrati | Msg attivi | Msg Recenti | Msg Pvt | Utenti | Galleria | Map | Gadgets | Cerca | | FAQ | Regole |NUOVA Tassonomia | Pagina Facebook di Natura Mediterraneo | Google+
Suggerimento: L'iscrizione al nostro Forum è gratuita e permette di accedere a tutte le discussioni.
Cerca
Salva
Password dimenticata

Galleria Tassonomica
 di Natura Mediterraneo

Nota! La determinazione degli insetti necessita quasi sempre di un'indicazione geografica e temporale precisa.
Invitiamo quindi gli utenti ad inserire questi dati ogni volta che viene richiesta una determinazione o viene postata una foto di un insetto. I dati forniti dagli utenti ci consentiranno anche di attribuire un valore scientifico alle segnalazioni, contribuendo a migliorare e integrare le attuali conoscenze sulla distribuzione delle specie postate.

Tutti i Forum
 Forum Animali - Natura Mediterraneo
   INSETTI
 Coleoptera e Strepsiptera
 Henosepilachna sp.
 Nuova Discussione
 Versione Stampabile my nm Leggi più tardi
I seguenti utenti stanno leggendo questo Forum Qui c'è:
Autore Discussione Precedente Discussione Discussione Successiva  

Amir
Utente Senior

Città: Tel-Aviv

Regione: Israel

785 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 22 luglio 2011 : 18:09:16 Mostra Profilo  Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia

Ciao

I'm looking for the etymology source of the name Henosepilachna

Tks

Amir

Henosepilachna elateri
Immagine:
Henosepilachna sp.
274,05 KB

My insects blog (Hebrew)
Link
insectour in Facebook
Link

Amir
Utente Senior

785 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 04 agosto 2011 : 22:07:02 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
Ciao

it's hard to find the root of this name
but I may have some clues

The name probably derived from sister genus Epilachna
Its a newer name to the previous

After long searching in dictionaries I found the follow
All derived from Greek

Henos = Old Man
Epi = Upon
Lachna = Hair

Epilachna mean for the short hair on the elytra

So maybe "henos" is for the color of the hair - Just as in an old man

Another ideas will appreciate

Tks

Amir

My insects blog (Hebrew)
Link
insectour in Facebook
Link
Torna all'inizio della Pagina

MaggieGrubs
Moderatore

Città: Milano
Prov.: Milano

Regione: Lombardia

3701 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 05 agosto 2011 : 09:15:41 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
Hi Amir
I agree with your interpretation of the word, with minor differences: 'henos' means 'one' and not man and 'epi' is generally used for 'visible'. So, my conclusion is pretty much the same as yours: 'one with visible hair'. However I've also found that (*) means 'wool'.
And from your pic it sure has visible hair or a woolly appearance! Anyway, I love etymology myself, so I'll look some more into the question. I'll send you a private message if I find something interesting.
By the way your web site looks fabulous, my only regret being I couldn't understand the name of the various species!
Alida
(*)
Immagine:
Henosepilachna sp.
2,48 KB

Modificato da - MaggieGrubs in data 05 agosto 2011 10:02:29

Amir
Utente Senior

785 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 05 agosto 2011 : 11:45:18 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
Tks for the reply

I find etymology of scientific names very interesting.
its part of the insects story and its give to the posts I'm writing nice aroma
some times its important to understand the source of the Hebrew name.

Regarding "Henos"
According the relevant dictionaries: "Heno" = One
But when its "Henos" this mean "old men"
I did not find any explanation why. came from different root?
Look here Link
and I find the same in other sources

The "old man" interpretation look to me more in the context
as the "ONE" is not show (to me) any meaning in context and the other words

Oh! It's hard to understand meaning behind words when u not spoke the relevant languages

As to the blog

in general, any insects in my blog have also his scientific name (full or the best ID)
If the post talk on one spices, I put the name in one of the relevant paragraph

If post show more the one species, I put the scientific name under the relevant photo or above, if I have some short explanation regarding the species

So its not always very clear, if u not read Hebrew, but its not so complicated

Ciao

Amir

My insects blog (Hebrew)
Link
insectour in Facebook
Link

MaggieGrubs
Moderatore

3701 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 05 agosto 2011 : 13:03:43 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
I know what you mean by aroma but it is also important not to add hues that may not be there, that would turn scientific writings into novels. Mainstream scientists tend to consider being 'fanciful' a sin, almost as bad as 'humanising' animals. I'm not saying that I agree with this, on the contrary. However, in my opinion this should be taken into consideration. Together with the fact that scientific names - in Latin and Greek - were created by men who might have had a good knowledge of the those languages but most likely could not speak Latin or ancient Greek! Anyway, to me it is more likely that the name of the insect is 'hairy one' or 'woolly one', although they are not so nice as your 'beardy old man'.
So I guess in the end it depends on the purpose your posts!
Thanks for the explanation on the names of species in your site. I'll have a look at it again to see if I've understood.
Alida

Amir
Utente Senior

785 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 05 agosto 2011 : 18:40:49 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
Ciao

I upload today a new post on the Henosepilachna elateri to the blog
Link
With some new photos and text

As to Alida note
I writing for the normal peoples, who like to know more about the insects (and spiders) world but afraid and boring from scientific writing.
Its no mean I'm ignore the scientific side, but the opposite
I'm trying using the real scientific story to show and explain what insects are and why they all ("good" and "bad") important to use.

In much the same way, this is also the essence of those forums. Bring peoples closer to the wonderful world of insects (and other organisms), which not many real know and understand.

Amir

My insects blog (Hebrew)
Link
insectour in Facebook
Link

MaggieGrubs
Moderatore

3701 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 07 agosto 2011 : 22:32:07 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
Hi Amir
unfortunately I have to agree with you. Using too many scientific terms scares people away. Anyway, if you catch people's attention and interest with a 'scientific novel', later on they might decide to learn also the science behind the novel.
Anyway, I've bookmarked your site (though I cannot read it, unfortunately) so that I can check it again.
Best luck with your writings.
Alida
  Discussione Precedente Discussione Discussione Successiva  
 Nuova Discussione
 Versione Stampabile my nm Leggi più tardi
Scorciatoia

Natura Mediterraneo © 2003-2020 Natura Mediterraneo Torna all'inizio della Pagina
Questa pagina è stata generata in 0,29 secondi. TargatoNA.it | Movie BackStage | Snitz Forums 2000

Leps.it | Herp.it | Lynkos.net